Corgi is a dwarf-like, elongated body herding dog. It often competes with obedience, agility and showmanship trials; while Terrier dog is a small, lean and fearless dog which kept as companion dogs and family pets.
Corgi mixes always have an adorable outcome, especially when crossed breed with a Terrier. This breed also is known as ‘Corrier.’ The two purebred dogs are intelligent, loyal, affectionate and have an excellent physical appearance. You may visualize the result if you are familiar with how pure breed Corgi and Terrier looks alike. It is possible that you get to have Corgi Terrier that behaves more like a Corgi or the other way around.
Although both breeds have unique characteristics and temperament, this mix is more likely to have similarities.
3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Terrier Mixed with Corgi
- It gets overly excited. This breed is too clingy and gets easily thrilled with things that make them happy. When it is kenneled for some time, and free it for a while, it can cause massive destruction like tearing newspaper, munching shoes, and chewing up the couch
- It is not patient. This type of dog can’t sit in one place and have one thing. It always roams around and something that can eliminate the boredom. It may calm down when it gets older but stay prepared that in no time this dog would scatter bones and toys and leave.
- It needs to focus on training. Every dog needs to exercise. However, a corgi-terrier requires concentration and strong leadership because without it these dogs will nip at the heels of their owners.
3 Reasons Why You Should Get a Terrier Corgi Mix
- It quickly gets along with other dogs. A terrier-corgi mix becomes close with other family pets. Still, there are times when these dogs become territorial in the presence of other animals they are not familiar.
- It’s highly vigilant and protective. Being small and having a dwarf-breed doesn’t mean it can’t protect you. This crossbreed dog is known to be loyal and protective of owners and loved ones.
- They are an excellent family dog. This dog is sweet and loves to cuddle. Most of the time, it likes to sleep on soft materials like pillows and couch. And, sometimes lean its head on you and be close. Adapting to a new home won’t be a problem as they have no issues in familiarizing themselves.
Other Corgi & Terrier Mixes
Picking the breed of dog that aligns with youcr lifestyle is extremely important. Every year tens of thousands of dogs are put up for adoption because the owner didn’t do their research.
|Corgi Australian Shepherd||Corgi Pitbull|
|Corgi Border Collie||Corgi Pomeranian|
|Corgi Beagle||Corgi Poodle|
|Corgi Chiuhuahua||Corgi Pug|
|Corgi Dachshund||Corgi Rottweiler|
|Corgi German Shepherd||Corgi Terrier|
|Corgi Great Dane||Corgi Pitbull|
|Corgi Lab||Corgi Shiba Inu|
Personality, Traits, and Temperament of a Corgi Terrier Mix
|Weight||10 to 27 pounds|
|Height||10 to 17 inches|
|Coat Type||Soft; Double-Coat; Small to Medium Length|
|Coat Color||Black, Brown, White, Gold|
|Amount of Shedding||Moderate|
|Temperament||Quite, Affectionate, Loyal|
|Life Expectancy||12 to 15 Years|
|New Owners Friendly||Yes|
This intelligent crossbreed dog has a perfect amount of energy for the family. It goes along well with everyone, but it is alert and barks whenever there is a stranger. A smart, loyal and cuddly pet, like a Corgi Terrier, is what you will more likely get.
Corgi mixed with Terrier Puppies for Sale
It’s a common thing to have and create stylish dogs or hybrid ones. Creating a hybrid dog need an apt study and observation to determine if it matches the two purebred- their personality and traits. Crossbreed works if it matches; but if not, avoid having a hybrid. It is impossible to escape the genetic problems it would cause since it is two different first generation to cross. Also, you are not sure of what will be the outcome of its physical appearance, personality, and temperament. You better be vigilant in finding the best Corgi-Terrier mix puppies for sale.
A Corgi Terrier is a favorite mix nowadays, but still, there is a little information can found about them. So you’ll get more familiar when you have or adopted one.
In purchasing a puppy, make sure to buy from among commercial dog breeders, and local dog breeders. Those who are making a living for every puppy sale they have bred are called commercial dog breeders. They are also an enthusiast of the breed. Most of their types are participating in dog shows to showcase their beauty and talent. Local dog breeders also provide an excellent shelter that is open to show everyone who wanted to be a dog parent. Whether a breeder has a paper, seeing the puppies’ parents and where it came from gives assurance that the puppy raised correctly.
Have you ever heard of the puppy mills? It is where most female dogs were kept to produce more puppies for sale. They might be well-fed or healthy, but how it serves its purpose to provide more puppies makes them lack of any relationship in human and felt less affection. Avoid buying puppies from puppy mills, especially online and in pet stores.
Make it a point to research for legitimate breeders, here are a few:
- Puppy Spot in Hollywood, Florida
- Armnalegranch in Jacksonville, Texas
- Vopelak Terriers LLC in Necedah, Wisconsin
- American Kennel Club
- Canadian Kennel Club
Be part of those who volunteer and save lives by looking for a pet to adopt. Most of the rescued dogs have already adapted to living with family or other dogs and are house-trained. It will cost you less because the adoption price includes the cost of vaccination and microchipping. Help in changing the world of homeless animals. Here are some sites where you can find a Corgi-Terrier mix to adopt:
Grooming Your Boston Terrier Corgi
Grooming can help in strengthening the relationship between the owner and the dog. It makes them feel comfortable and well-loved. A Terrier Corgi is a low-maintenance puppy so it won’t require frequent grooming.
Although Corgi Terrier has massive shedding twice a year, brushing recommended at least once a week. Removing loose hair can help keep the dog in good condition and prevents having knotted hair. Also, healthy natural skin oils would be distributed and provide a shiny coat.
Corgi Terrier is advised to bathe at least once every 4 to 8 weeks. It might get frequent like every other week, but rest assure that you use a mild shampoo. It is typically required to ease the unpleasant odor.
It is also good to brush their teeth at least twice a week to help maintain their oral and internal health.
Terrier Crossed with Corgi Health Problems
Some say that a purebred dog is more prone to hereditary complications than a designer dog. When in truth, cross-breeding or random-mating may cause to increase the so-called hybrid vigor. Hybrid Vigor is the increase in general health and resistance to diseases.
- Back-problems is susceptible. The back of dogs can develop problems in their lifetime. It might be a spine’s deterioration, swell out, collapsed, rupture or displaced. Treating this back pain is not the same as humans. You can’t give them aspirins, ibuprofen or any pain relievers. It requires the supervision of the veterinarian to address appropriately the prescription pain medicine which can safely relieve the pain of your dog.
- It is at risk of inadequate and declining vision. It is also known as Progressive Retinal Atrophy or PRA. It affects the photoreceptors of the eyes that causes a decrease in vision and often leads to blindness. Other related diseases are cataracts, glaucoma, and corneal ulcers. Cataracts get tested before crossbreeding and treated through a surgical process. Even if the Terrier Corgi gradually loses their sight, they may get adapted to it and can still proceed with their routines.
- It might inherit the hip dysplasia condition. Hip Dysplasia is an inherited condition wherein it involves a deformity of hipbone joints. It leads to unfitted hip joint and thigh bone. Other causes of this disease are their rapid growth and diet. You may bring your pet in a veterinary clinic once you observed symptoms like lameness of legs, discomfort, and difficulty roaming around. Terrier mixed with Corgi can be tested for an X-ray at approximately 18 months old. There will be a recommended treatment activity like exercise to keep the dog’s hips healthy
- It tends to become obese. Don’t be deceived by the eyes of dogs begging for food. Gaining extra weight is difficult for Corgi mix Terrier, especially in the type of their body. With their long body and small legs, obesity can lead to health problems.
Ensure that dogs have a proper and healthy diet, and keep it in routine. Always check with the veterinarian the right prescription to allow your Corgi Terrier healthy.
Rat Terrier Mix Corgi Food Requirements
As earlier mentioned, the tendency of a Terrier mix Corgi in being obese is high. Corgi-Terrier loves eating so much that it tends to eat everything. Don’t guess the amount of food you prepare on the plate. Be strict by not giving excess high-calorie treats. You need the find the perfect food for their robust, lively and active body.
- Ollie Dog Food. Most of their recipe ingredients are real human grade ingredients. They don’t alter or preserve any components making them a fresh pet food company. Ollie has meal options you can choose. Some of it is healthy turkey feast, hearty beef eats, chicken goodness, tasty lamb fare. You can even get your first box at fifty percent off.
- Acana is an award-winning company catering high quality, biologically appropriate foods for dogs. It is designed to keep balanced nutrition. It is consist of fresh meat, rawbone, fresh fruits and vegetables. They provide quality new foods and fresh ingredients like chicken, turkey, catfish, green peas and pumpkin. Feeding a Terrier Corgi with natural food ingredients can transform their lives.
- Nature’s Variety Instinct comes with a high-quality animal protein, and recipes are grain-free. The right amount of nutrition has a good effect on the dog’s well-being. Grain-free foods nourish muscles and build strong bones.
- Earthborn Holistic. This company has a holistic approach wherein all ingredients are carefully chosen depending on the needs of the dog. It is catchy that they offer various kinds of dog formulas such as adult and puppy vantage, ocean fusion, grain-free Holistic, large breed, and small breed. They even have a recipe for weight control which is ideally perfect for a Corgi crossed mix with Terrier. It has low fat and low-calorie meal formula for the fitness of the puppy.
- Taste of the Wild. It focuses on the taste of meat and its natural flavor, so their recipe is more meat and grain free. It keeps the natural ancestral diet of wild dogs. It contains probiotics, vegetables, legumes, fumes, fruits antioxidants, omega fatty acid, and DHA. These are highly digestive animal proteins that allow your pet to have support in the immune system and overall health.
Corgi-Terrier needs explicitly food that is a good source of protein and fats. It supports the health of muscles, a healthy coat, and ample energy. There is also a different level of calorie count to give your dog depending on how active are they. Dwarf breeds are prone to have problems in joints and bones, so being extra careful with the food and nutrients is a must.
Corgi Crossed with Jack Russell Terrier Exercise Requirements
Since this dog is not a common breed, they require a specific physical exercise to keep their fitness level. Working out provides mental stimulation which is excellent for physical stamina and brain attentiveness. It destructs corgi terriers for making unnecessary habits like chewing and digging that reduce their energies. Or, when boredom strikes, it tends to have constant howling and barking.
Plenty of exercises is needed to avoid boredom, stimulate the mind, keep healthy and maintain proper body weight. Here are a few activities for a Corgi crossed with Terrier exercises:
- IQ Treat Ball. It is an interactive food dispensing treat ball that promotes active and healthy eating. It has an adjustable difficulty level to keep the Corgi Terrier challenged as they learn.
- Bojafa Tough Dog Toys. It is a non-toxic rubber treat ball. It is the best gift for your adorable pet. It might stock with a snack inside giving them sweet treats for being active. You may also use this fetch play your Terrier Corgi or any outdoor games. It also doubles a purpose in cleaning the teeth and preventing of tartar and plaque build up.
- Orbee Tough Zoom Flyer. It is a minty-scent non-toxic rubber disc perfect for playing outdoor fetch. It can float on water and is bouncy. When your dog catches it, it is super soft in their mouth.
- Pro-Ball Go-Frrr Slingshot Action Dog Fetch Toy. It is perfect for your energetic friends as it sails when released. It comes with a launcher and a ball that provides endless fun for Terrier Corgi.
A simple stretching exercise is also good for Corgi-Terrier. It is beneficial to do a regular stretching for hips, shoulders, chest and back area to reduce discomfort and pain and increases the capacity of the dog’s breathing. A daily walk in the neighborhood is also good exercise.
Corgi Terrier Mix Training
Training should start at a young age. Corgi Terrier tends to lose its focus and get destructed easily. A bond with the family will get tighter with proper training. A comprehensive is a solution for a less responsive mutt like Corgi Terriers.
- House Training. Let your mutts familiarize themselves with their new place by taking them to a gentle tour of the house. Knowing their space in sleeping, eating, playing and pooping will give you less problem in the future. This training may take a couple of days to achieve and establish. But, sooner this will be a routine they will follow.
- Obedience Training. Train puppies to have respect and should perceive the owners as a leader. Corgi-Terrier mix is intelligent pups that require leadership training. Start by teaching them such as No, Stop, or Come. Afterward, you may show them simple activities like walking in a maze.
- Socialization Training. Help Corgi-Terrier mix adjust in the environment by introducing it to the family members. It may also help them adapt when they get added to other pets in the house or the neighborhood. Teach it to be less fearful by having adequate interaction with a lovable human.
- Left-Alone Training. You can’t always bring your mutt wherever you go, to prevent it from crying and howling by teaching that being alone is okay. Being left alone may give it anxiety. Keep the Corgi-Terrier entertained with few snack treats and toy.
- Rewards Training. Retain the Corrier’s motivation with the reward treats for every training, exercise or play done. It is one best way to keep encouraged to do something right.
Training is the best way to prevent the Corgi mix Terrier from harmful behaviors. When properly trained, it will not even imitate the behavior of other puppies and stay consistent with what learned.
Corgi Mix Terrier and Families
As Corgi mix Terrier is known to be intelligent, playful and loyal, it will provide a lot of joy in the family. If your family is considering to have this type of designer dog, you should become prepared with its unique setting.
Is your place has a pet-friendly environment? Are you okay with a clingy kind of dog? Are your current dogs can socialize with new pets at home? Can you give time for the exercise and training of your pet? If your answer to these questions is all yes, then a Corgi crossed with Terrier fits your family.
A place where a Corrier can freely move around is right to stay active. A pet-friendly environment can give it a feeling of being comfortable and less anxiety. Not everyone is entitled to have a dog it takes good qualities, manners, and sense of responsibility to have one. A good set of people who will treat a Corrier as part of the family assures them of protection and happy place
Corrier tends to cling at human most of the time. It requires special attention and affection. It prefers to mingle with people they know and socialize. Take your dog out for a simple walk in the park or to the neighborhood. Visit dog parks and play with them. Take your dog’s personality into consideration by avoiding them from a chaotic environment or ruthless children. Help them stimulate their senses through investigating, and applying their touches. Focus on your dog and reward them for every job well done.
Terrier mix Corgi responds well to obedience and agility training. Even it is a dwarf-breed; it is commendable for its surprisingly fast nature to chase things. Patience is needed for the practice as Corrier are not happy being bossed around. But, with lots of diligence in training it, it will give in and respond well to new tasks. Corrier is indeed perfect as a family dog.
Make it a point to give your dog, whatever breed it might be, bundles of love and affection. They need more attention, time and treat to prosper. Be consistent with the attitude and consequences you gave them when they did wrong. Monitor their health, mentor them, and attend to their needs. You will surely have a pet better than you ever imagined. You’ll get happier and learn a lot in return.
- Morita, Tomoya, et al. “Pulmonary Hypertension Due to Unclassified Interstitial Lung Disease in a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.” Journal of Veterinary Medical Science, vol. 80, no. 6, 23 Apr. 2018, pp. 939–944., doi:10.1292/jvms.17-0716.
- Newbold, Georgina M., et al. “Phacoemulsification Outcomes in Boston Terriers as Compared to Non-Boston Terriers: a Retrospective Study (2002-2015).” Veterinary Ophthalmology, vol. 21, no. 4, 30 Jan. 2018, pp. 353–361., doi:10.1111/vop.12517.
- Harper, Deborah S. The Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Howell Book House, 1999.
- Bedwell-Wilson, Wendy. Boston Terriers For Dummies. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2011.