After my long while of volunteering in animal shelters and later on becoming a veterinary professional, I am excited to share with you what I know about Hound Mix breeds. These type of dogs are excellent to have as pets at home. If you have questions about the kind of Hound Mix breeds to get as a pet, I hope this post can contribute significantly.
Boxer Hound Mix = Boxhound
- The Boxer Hound Mix is known for its droopy and wide eyes. This dog also has a silky coat and big feet. Other Hound Boxer Mix have nails, but not all of them.
- These are muscular, power, and loyal, but you still need to expose the Boxhound to early socialization training.
- The Boxer mixed with Hound has white teemed teeth. You can usually distinguish a Boxhound because of its white or fawnish color.
- The Hound Mixed with Boxer is an active dog, but it doesn’t bark a lot.
Husky Hound Mix = Houndsky
- The Husky Hound Mix takes after the body of its Bassett Hound parent with its long and low shape.
- The Hound Husky Mix has a sweet temper. It gets along quite well with other people, as well as animals.
- The Houndsky can be a bit territorial when it comes to food. If you plan to take in a Houndsky along with other dogs, you need to make sure they have separate areas for eating.
- The Husky Hound can also be a bit independent and stubborn. This is why it needs firm training at a young age.
Corgi Hound Mix = Houndgi
- The height of a Corgi Hound Mix can vary between 25-27 inches. The weight can be 30-110 pounds.
- The Corgi and Hound are similar in the sense that they are both intelligent, active, and stubborn breeds. You can expect your Hound Corgi Mix to be like this as well.
- The Corgi Hound has a fascinating sense of smell, as well as intense curiosity. Don’t be surprised to find this dog following tracking whatever kind of smell that crosses its path.
- This type of dog needs firm training at an early age to tame its curiosity and stubbornness.
Poodle Hound Mix = Poohound
- The Poodle Hound Mix was originally bred to produce dog types that are a lot gentler and owner-friendly compared to pedigree dogs.
- The Hound Poodle Mix is known to be hypoallergenic which makes it a decent pet choice for people who have medical restrictions.
- The Poodle Hound is prone to having joint issues so it is vital to provide it with daily exercise. This will prevent it from becoming obese.
- The Poodle Hound is a large breed. Its weight can vary between 45-65 pounds.
German Shepherd Hound Mix = German Hound
- The German Shepherd Hound Mix is one of the most amazing dogs you will find due to its obedient, intelligent, and affectionate nature.
- If you often leave your house unguarded, you’d be glad to know that the Hound German Shepherd Mix has guarding and watchdog instincts as well.
- The German Shepherd Hound Mix does not need a lot of brushing, but you need to invest a lot of time in exercise and training because this is a pretty active breed.
- You need to give it good-quality food to keep your German Shepherd Hound in the best health. For best results, we advise that you consult with an animal dietician.
Beagle Hound Mix = Houngle
- The Beagle Hound Mix can come off as a bit stubborn. This type of dogs has a natural sense of smell. If left without proper training, this dog will follow its sense of smell more than your orders.
- The Hound Beagle Mix is an affectionate and cheerful dog. You will often find it trying to get your attention. It is important to provide it with proper exercise to satisfy its craving for activities.
- The Beagle Hound is a short-haired dog and does not need a lot of grooming, but you still might want to brush its hair at least once a week to remove excess hair, as well as to keep the coat shiny.
- The Beagle Hound has a natural prey drive. You need to beware when you are taking your dog for a walk because it can suddenly run from you if it sees a bird or rabbit passing by.
Bull Mastiff Hound Mix = Bull Hound
- If the Bull Mastiff Hound Mix takes after its Mastiff heritage, it will most likely appear to be standoffish, but when it comes to its owner, this dog is the most loving and cheerful pet you will ever see.
- The Hound Bull Mastiff Mix is an athletic and energetic dog. It also likes to chase other small animals. You might want to expose this pet in early socialization training. This will equip your dog to adapt to its environment and other people.
- This type of breed is best kept indoors because it is prone to heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
- It is important for this mix dog to be provided with early training, but you need to keep this up all throughout the dog’s life. This will keep its prey instincts and aggressiveness at bay as it grows into an adult.
Labrador Hound Mix = Houndador
- The height of a Labrador Hound Mix can vary between 22 to 28 inches.
- It is easy to distinguish a Hound Labrador Mix due to its athletic and muscular build.
- The Labrador Hound can either come in the following colors: black, white, golden yellow, and brown.
- This type of breed is quite active. You need to provide it daily exercise to keep the dog happy and satisfied.
Chihuahua Hound Mix = Houndahua
- The Chihuahua Hound Mix can be a bit territorial and protective over their masters. This makes them an excellent guard dog.
- If you expect a lot of visitors coming to your house often, you need to take time to give your Hound Chihuahua Mix sufficient training and exercise. This will make the dog realize that people and other animals are part of its environment.
- The Chihuahua Hound only sheds seasonally but you still need to give it proper grooming if you want to maintain its beauty and finesse.
- You need to take the Chihuahua Hound to annual dental check-ups because this type of mix breed is prone to overcrowded teeth.
Great Dane Hound Mix = Great Hound
- The Great Dane Hound Mix is an amicable pet, but you still need to provide it early socialization training to prevent it from quarreling with other breeds.
- The Hound Great Dane Mix is known for being a healthy dog, but there is no promise that your dog will grow without a single sign of illness. We advise that you take it to the doctor at least every two months.
- This type of dog likes to chase after whatever critters it can find. We suggest you invest in a fence to keep your dog from escaping your premises while chasing after its prey.
- Once your Great Dane Hound is already in its full maturity, it can easily knock you down with one push. You need to train it so that it will not expend its energy on trying to overwhelm its owners.
Chow Chow Hound Mix = Chow Hound
- Whether your dog takes after the Chow Chow or Hound, it will still require a lot of grooming. Only the frequency of doing so will depend on which parent is dominant.
- You need to keep your Chow Chow Hound Mix from becoming obese. This will require you to invest at least one hour of exercise and training for your dog on a daily basis.
- For your Hound Chow Chow Mix to be in its optimal health, you need to provide it with three cups of dog food every day.
- The Chow Chow Hound Mix have floppy ears that are prone to infection. This gives you an obligation to put up your dog with a monthly checkup.
Border Collie Hound Mix = Border Hound
- The Border Collie Hound Mix has excessive shedding. This requires to invest in a vacuum to keep the excess hairs at bay, as well as to keep your floors clean.
- You also need to invest in good-quality conditioner and shampoo. Your Hound Border Collie Mix needs regular baths because they like playing in the dirt.
- The Border Collie Hound is known for its playful and energetic nature. It is important to equip this dog with regular exercise to satisfy its desire for fun and adventure.
- If you like inviting visitors to your home, the Border Collie Hound is the best pet to have. This type of dogs like attention. They get along well with new faces and other animals.
- The Border Collie Hound is a sociable dog, but it can come off as a bit shy at first. We still recommend giving it socialization training.
Australian Shepherd Hound Mix = Australian Hound
- The Australian Shepherd Hound Mix might come off as aloof towards new faces, but it is the most cheerful and loyal pet towards its owners.
- The Hound Australian Shepherd Mix is an easy-going dog. It is known for being obedient and
- affectionate with people, but when it comes to training there is a bit of a challenge. The best approach would be to train the dog in its puppy years.
- The Australian Shepherd Hound only need to be fed twice a day. This will give it enough energy for all its activities for the day. The frequency of feeding also enables it to properly metabolize its food.
- As a way to keep your dog mentally and physically fit, you need to devote vigorous exercise on a daily basis.
Dachshund Hound Mix = Dachhound
- The Dachshund Hound Mix is a sweet and playful, but it is always ready to alert its family whenever strangers are in the midrange.
- The Hound Dachshund Mix usually cost around $200-$600. This already includes the medical certificates of the puppy which ensures you that the dog you are getting is in good health.
- This dog mix does not bark a lot but when it does you will easily recognize it because of its loud and deep sound.
- It is important to feed this dog on a daily basis, but you also need to be careful not to give it too much food. The Dachhound loves eating and will continue to do so as long as you give it food. This can cause obesity if unsupervised.
Pug Hound Mix = Pughound
- The Pug Hound Mix is a friendly and sweet pet that’s perfect for couples or singles who are looking for their first dog.
- The Hound Pug Mix is known for being a lap dog. Due to its inactive nature, you only need to provide it controlled portions of dog kibble.
- This dog is pretty small, only weighing from 12 to 20 pounds.
- The Pug Hound is a low maintenance dog which makes it perfect for people who don’t have the time for frequent grooming and training.
Cocker Spaniel Hound Mix = Cocker Hound
- The Cocker Spaniel Hound Mix is prone to allergies. It is important to get a hypoallergenic container when feeding your dog.
- 2.5 cups of dog food are enough for your Hound Cocker Spaniel Mix for one day. This will already give him all the energy he needs for his activities. It will also prevent him from becoming obese.
- The Cocker Spaniel Hound has moderate exercise needs. Taking him to an hour of walk every day is sufficient. Most of the time, this type of dog likes to play on his own.
- The Cocker Spaniel Hound is eager to please. This makes training time quite easy, but only if you start when he is still a puppy.
St. Bernard Hound Mix = St. Hound
- The St. Bernard Hound Mix is a new and rare breed. Looking into the history and origin of the parent breeds is most likely the best way to determine what your dog will look like.
- Your Hound St. Bernard Mix will most likely take after the dominant genes of it’s St. Bernard parent in terms of size. You can expect your dog mix to be medium to large.
- You might need to train your dog at a young age. This is because the Hound parent breed was raised for hunting. Your dog mix will most likely be chasing critters around unless he is taught how to behave in the yard.
- Both the St. Bernard and Hound have long life spans. Your dog mix can also be expected to live within a period of 10 to 15 years.
American Bulldog Hound Mix = American Hound
- One of the most advantageous facts about the American Bulldog Mix is that they are open to learning and are quite receptive. This means they are quite easy to train. For you to take advantage of this trait, the best thing to do is train them during their puppy years.
- The cost for buying a Hound Americal Bulldog Mix starts at $500.
- The American Bulldog Hound is known for its mixed colors, but there are also several breeds that are found with solid white and black colors.
- It is important for your Bulldog Hound to develop muscle growth. So you need to focus on protein and nutrients that can help your dog do so. Consider the advice of a pet dietician when out to buy dog food.
Cane Corso Hound Mix = Cane Hound
- One of the best things about having a Cane Corso Hound Mix is that it takes after the Cane Corso genes in terms of fondness of being a guard dog. It is the best way to keep him occupied. Without a task, this type of dog can cause chaos inside the yard.
- The Hound Cane Corso Mix is dog best suited for advanced dog owners. This type of dog requires a firm hand in training.
- The Cane Corso Hound has an even temper, but most of the time they can be a bit aloof towards new faces.
- They can be a disturbance at night because they snore, drool, and gas a lot.
Shar Pei Hound Mix = Pei Hound
- The Shar-Pei Hound Mix can grow up to 60 pounds and 13 inches in height.
- This dog does not shed so much but you still need to brush the coat at least once a week. This will help stimulate the skin.
- The Hound Shar-Pei don’t bark a lot but if they are not happy about something, they have a habit of howling.
- This type of dog is sometimes referred to as a couch potato. They can be a bit lazy. What you need to do to prevent your dog from becoming obese is take him to at least one hour of walk every day.
Akita Hound Mix = Houkita
- The Akita Hound Mix is known for being a loyal and faithful dog. Leave it in an open fence and it will still come back after a few minutes of rounding the neighborhood.
- One downside of getting a Hound Akita Mix is that you can have it along with other types of pets since it tends to chase it down.
- It is important to engage your Akita Hound in early training. This will help tame the natural aggression of Akita Hounds.
- The Akita Hound is best suited for experienced dog owners. It can be pretty difficult to train the Akita Hound Mix, but in the hands of a firm trainer, the Akita Hound is one of the best dogs to have.
Blue Heeler Hound Mix = Blue Hound
- The Blue Heeler Hound Mix is known for its floppy ears, but these aren’t as pendant-shaped and long as its Hound parent breed.
- The Hound Blue Heeler Mix does not drool and has not fur odor, but it does shed a lot which requires you to invest in a vacuum and brush the hair once a week.
- This type of breed is energetic and independent.
- Your Hound Blue Heeler will get bored a lot. One way to combat this is by giving it a lot of mental and physical stimulation through exercise activities.
English Bulldog Hound Mix = English Hound
- The English Bulldog Hound Mix is a medium-sized dog which is easy to distinguish due to its recognizable colors.
- The most common colors for the fur of the Hound English Bulldog Mix are white, red, and black.
- This type of dog can grow to a height of 12 to 16 inches.
- You’ll find that this dog is gentle with kids and other animals, but you still need to keep a close eye on your kids if your Bulldog Hound is still in its puppy stage since these things are known to bite.
Dalmatian Hound Mix = Houndatian
- The Dalmatian Hound Mix is highly adored by most dog lovers due to its charming personality.
- The Hound Dalmatian Mix is prone to destructive behaviors. It is important to give this dog early socialization and training to combat this possibility.
- This type of dog has a medium to high energy levels, which requires you to give him quality time for exercise.
- You also need to help the dog exercise his mind due to its intelligent nature. One of the best ways to do so is by giving the dog some interactive toys it can play with.
Golden Retriever Hound Mix = Golden Hound
- The Golden Retriever Hound Mix makes an excellent starter pet for first-time dog owners.
- This type of dog is not aggressive. They lean towards a gentle and peaceful nature towards children, other pets, and most especially their owners.
- Despite this peaceful temperament, nothing will stop the Hound Golden Retriever Mix from alerting its family if danger is nearby.
- It would be best to not feed your dog no more than twice a day. This will prevent problems with obesity in the future.
Great Pyrenees Hound Mix = Houndrenees
- The Great Pyrenees Hound Mix can be a bit challenging to train. Your best bet of getting an obedient dog is to train your mix breed at an early age.
- You need to teach your Hound Great Pyrenees Mix how to find its way back home. It is in the nature of this dog to roam around. It will be able to take care of itself while outside the yard, but make sure that your dog knows how to get back home.
- This dog mix does not typically bark or bite other animals or people, but it can come off as aggressive if it does not like its treatment. It might not be a good idea to let your kids play with this dog’s tail.
- This type of dog is known for having quite a long life of 10 to 12 years.
Rhodesian Ridgeback Hound Mix = Rhodesian Hound
- The Rhodesian Ridgeback Hound Mix might look calm, but due to its territorial nature, it is ready for anyone who poses danger on its turf.
- A Hound Rhodesian Ridgeback Mix can cost as much as $2,500 if purchased from a breeder. You can also get your dog from a pet shelter for only $300 to $400.
- This dog needs plenty of exercises. It would be best to give your pet a few hours of off-leash time to let it play around the backyard.
- This type of breed is friendly towards children, but its size is a bit too big for kids.
Bernese Mountain Dog Hound Mix = Bernese Hound
- The Bernese Mountain Dog Hound Mix likes to make people life. You will often find them repeating acts that elicit laughter.
- You need to give your Hound Bernese Mountain Dog Mix at least three baths in one month. This will enable you to keep your dog’s fur odor-free.
- Just like the Bernese Mountain Dog parent, this mix breed needs to kept indoors. This will keep it from exhibiting destructive behaviors.
- This type of breed has a life span of 10 to 12 years.
Pitbull Hound Mix = Pithound
- The Pitbull Hound Mix is known for being strong-willed and independent.
- This type of dog is for advanced pet owners. The Hound Pitbull Mix will need a firm trainer to incorporate obedience into this particular dog.
- The Pitbull Hound makes a great watchdog due to the dominant genes of the Pitbull parent.
- This type of dog can sometimes become aggressive towards strangers. Socialization training is important to have at an early age.
French Bulldog Hound Mix = French Hound
- The French Bulldog Hound Mix does not need a lot of exercises, but walking it for a few minutes a day is good for any type of dog.
- You would need a fenced backyard to keep your Hound French Bulldog Mix secured. This type of dog likes to roam around and can sometimes have trouble finding its way home.
- The cost of this type of dog often comes to at least $700 if you purchase it from a breeder. This also assures you of a healthy puppy to take home.
- This breed has a long life span as well of 10 to 12 years.
Catahoula Hound Mix = Houndoula
- The Catahoula Hound Mix is an adorable pet to have around due to its sweet and loving nature, but when it comes to strangers, this dog can be a bit standoffish.
- The lifespan of this dog goes on an average of 12 to 14 years.
- The Hound Catahoula Mix makes an excellent guard dog due to its hunting skills. It can track down any trespasser trying to enter your home.
- Deafness and eye problems are common for this type of dog. A regular checkup is most recommended.
Shih Tzu Hound Mix = Shih Hound
- The Shih Tzu Hound Mix can have either long or short coat, but no matter which parents are more dominant, this dog will surely have smooth fur.
- The Hound Shih Tzu Mix sheds frequently. This means you need to brush the coat at least twice a week and buy a vacuum to keep your floor free from excess hair.
- This type of dog is a docile and affectionate creature. They are easy to satisfy and train.
- This breed has low energy and loves to eat. It can be prone to becoming obese. You need to give it controlled portions of dog food.
Doberman Hound Mix = Hounderman
- The Doberman Hound Mix can cost as much as $7,000 coming from a breeder, but take note that this is the most appropriate approach since you will be able to make sure that your dog is completely healthy.
- The Hound Doberman Mix is a dominating and aggressive dog. It needs a firm trainer to tame it.
- One advantage of getting a Doberman Hound is that it is relatively low maintenance. You don’t have to take it to regular grooming or bathing.
- This can potentially develop a protective nature. It is important to give this dog socialization training.
Newfoundland Hound Mix = Newfoundanian
- The Newfoundland Hound Mix likes to work with other people. It would be a great idea to take this dog on your trips. This can serve as your bonding time with your dog.
- The Hound Newfoundland Mix is an intelligent dog, which means that it responds quite well to training.
- This type of dog can be prone to obesity. The best way to regulate the weight of your dog is to feed it twice a day and take it to morning walks.
- They can grow to be territorial. If you have other pets at home, your dog needs to be exposed to socialization training.
- Gentilini, Fabio, et al. “A Nonsense Mutation in Themyeloperoxidasegene Is Responsible for Hereditary Myeloperoxidase Deficiency in an Italian Hound Dog.” Animal Genetics, vol. 47, no. 5, 14 June 2016, pp. 632–633., doi:10.1111/age.12463.
- Levine, Becky. Hounds: Loyal Hunting Companions. Capstone Press, 2013.