I have always loved animals that everyone knew that I would end up as a vet. In my line of work, I provide medical care to animals all day, especially dogs. From the small Chihuahua to the majestic Mastiff, every dog has its characteristics and needs. Now, I would like to share with you about caring and raising different Greyhound mixed breeds. I hope that this information will help you find and raise a healthy and happy Greyhound mixed breed pup. Feel free to ask any questions or post a photo of your adorable puppy from the comments below.
Boxer Greyhound Mix = Grey Boxhound
- The Boxer Greyhound Mix is a combination of the Greyhound which is one of the oldest purebred dogs and the Boxer which is a mixed breed as well. The Boxer is said to be a combination of a Bulldog and a Mastiff.
- A Greyhound Boxer mix will have short hair because it comes from parents that are both short haired. Therefore this is very easy to groom.
- You need to take this dog on extremely long walks. The Boxer Greyhound Mix need to keep their energy levels down at the end of the day.
- This mixed breed needs to have raw food in its diet because this is good for the health of most dog breeds.
Husky Greyhound Mix = Grey Houndsky
- The Husky Greyhound mix dog is an obscure mixed breed with very little information available online. The most you can find are photos as well as data from personal blogs and forums.
- Owners of Greyhound Husky mix breed dogs say that this dog sheds a lot so be sure to prepare to vacuum often and to brush this dog down to prevent shedding.
- The Husky Greyhound mix is bursting with energy and needs to be walked for long hours daily. If you are not the active type then this dog will surely inspire you to start exercising.
- This dog is easily distracted though, according to owners and therefore may need to be taken inside in case of a storm or when there are fireworks or other loud noises.
Corgi Greyhound Mix = Grey Houndgi
- The Corgi Greyhound mix is a high energy mixed breed that is very active with an outgoing nature.
- This breed is a designer dog makes an easy grooming pet, but regular vacuuming is necessary to remove falling hair if the dog takes to the Corgi coat.
- The Greyhound Corgi mix breed may inherit medical issues of both parents, but proper care and the right diet can prevent some of these conditions.
- The Corgi Greyhound mixed dog is highly intelligent and loves to be with people and may exhibit a worried behavior when it is without its owner for a long time.
Poodle Greyhound Mix = Grey Poohound
- The appearance of a Poodle Greyhound mix breed dog depends on the most dominant parent gene. It may have a curly coat if the Poodle gene is dominant or it may have a shorter coat if it takes to its Greyhound parent.
- The Greyhound Poodle mix breed is friendly, alert and loving but it can also become aggressive, so you need to train it early
- When it comes to medical care, the Poodle Greyhound mix dog may or may not inherit illnesses from its parents. Be sure to take your pup to a vet early.
- Never skip taking your dog to a walk because this can affect your dog’s behavior. Train your dog early as much as possible.
German Shepherd Greyhound Mix = German Greyhound
- If you are looking for a German Shepherd Greyhound mixed pup, be sure to check a local shelter before heading to a breeder. There may be abandoned dogs from the shelter that needs your love and care.
- Greyhound German Shepherd mix dogs take from their parent breed when it comes to personality and behavior. This dog may be quiet and gentle or may be very energetic and domineering.
- The Greyhound German Shepherd mix is prone to obesity and medical conditions due to overeating and obesity. It’s important to feed your dog organic food and to avoid treats.
- Some dogs shed a little while some shed a lot; this depends on more dominant parent dog gene.
Beagle Greyhound Mix = Grey Houndgle
- The Greyhound Beagle mix is a dog that has a life span of 12 to 15 years.
- This is a lively dog with energies that can go through the roof. This dog needs a lot of exercises and should be walked for long hours daily.
- The Beagle Greyhound mix breed is a barking dog, so it won’t be a good idea to live in an apartment or condominium building. Make sure to check if there are barking rules for dogs from where you live.
- The Greyhound Beagle mix is a smart dog so train it early otherwise; it may become harder to do so in older dogs.
Bull Mastiff Greyhound Mix = Mastiff Greyhound
- The Greyhound Bull Mastiff dog may or may not be available from a shelter but be sure to check it out before proceeding with the services of a breeder.
- A Bull Mastiff Greyhound mix is a combination of two powerful breeds each with dominant personalities. Hence this dog can be strong and domineering or shy and submissive.
- This breed is known to inherit the medical conditions of both its parents, but if the dominating parent is healthy, it is possible that the Greyhound Bull Mastiff pup may also be healthy.
- This mixed breed dog needs a lot of exercises and should engage in tiring physical activity to avoid becoming destructive.
Labrador Greyhound Mix = Grey Labrahound
- The Labrador Greyhound mix dog is a combination of a Labrador’s strength and the refinement of a Greyhound. Hence, your dog’s behavior could range from very timid to very outgoing.
- There is no guaranteed appearance of a Greyhound Labrador mix breed. Some may look more than their Lab parent or their Greyhound parent; it all depends on the most dominant gene.
- This breed needs careful grooming because it can have a coat that is dense, smooth and short. The coat color may be solid black, chocolate and yellow if the dog takes after its Lab parent while dominant Greyhound genes will result in different colors and markings on the coat.
- Labrador Greyhound mix dogs may inherit health issues known to the parent dogs including hip dysplasia, muscle weakness, eye disease, bone cancer, and hypothyroidism to name a few.
Chihuahua Greyhound Mix = Grey Houndahua
- The Italian Greyhound Chihuahua mix dog is a small dog with a huge personality.
- This mixed breed has an apple-shaped head with almond-shaped eyes with a small black nose, all dominant Chihuahua characteristics, and features.
- The Chihuahua Greyhound mix is ideal for families and also for singles that need companionship. It can tolerate children but may exhibit a dominant personality with other dogs and pets in the house.
- Ideally, a Greyhound Chihuahua mix breed pup is healthy when its parents are healthy but may grow up to suffer from medical conditions that are common to both parents like obesity.
Great Dane Greyhound Mix = Great Greyhound
- There is a chance that your Great Dane Greyhound mix pup will grow up to be a tall, lean and hug dog considering that one of its parents is a Great Dane, one of the tallest and largest dog breeds.
- This is a high energy dog so be sure to take it out for long walks and take time to play with it to reduce spent energy.
- The Great Dane Greyhound Mix dog may shed moderately, and therefore this needs brushing a few times a week. Brushing enhances the shine and health of its lovely coat.
- When feeding your Greyhound Great Dane mix dog, you must feed it organic food as well as raw food to improve its stamina and overall health.
Chow Chow Greyhound Mix = Chow Greyhound
- The Chow Chow Greyhound mix breed is a lovely mixed breed that may have a beautiful long coat especially if the dominant gene is of the Chow Chow.
- It would be impossible to immediately find a Chow Chow Greyhound mix dog or pup breeder so be sure to check out local dog shelters and rescue centers first.
- The Greyhound Chow Chow mix breed’s personality may vary depending on the dominant parent. The Chow Chow tends to become aggressive especially when not socialized with other animals and people. Be sure to train and socialize your dog early to avoid this.
- There are health issues present in the Chow Chow and the Greyhound that can affect this mixed breed so be sure to take your pup to a vet as soon as possible to rule any health issue out.
Border Collie Greyhound Mix = Border Greyhound
- It is impossible to determine the behavior of a Border Collie Greyhound mix breed dog while it is still a puppy. It may inherit the quiet and dignified demeanor of the Greyhound or the affectionate and energetic Border Collie.
- There are a few health issues present in a Border Collie and a Greyhound which could be present in your mixed pup. Border Collies are prone to eye diseases, hip dysplasia and epilepsy.
- A Border Collie sheds moderately, but the short-haired Greyhound does not. Therefore a Border Collie Greyhound mix may need to be brushed twice in a week to remove tangles.
- Both Greyhounds and Border Collies are high energy dogs and may need more exercise than any other mixed breeds.
Australian Shepherd Greyhound Mix = Australian Greyhound
- The Australian Shepherd Greyhound mix breed is a unique and very rare mixed breed which has very little information online. The only way to tell what this dog looks like is to check out images uploaded by owners from Pinterest.
- Looking at the parent Australian Shepherd and Greyhound reveals a lot about what to expect with this breed. Aussies are very intelligent with an energetic disposition. The Greyhound is smart but is more reserved.
- Greyhound Australian Shepherd may have short or long hair depending on the dominant parent’s gene. For long-haired dogs, regular brushing and bathing are essential while short-haired ones may only need a thorough brushing twice a week.
- Both breeds are smart so expect your Greyhound Australian Shepherd dog to be more intelligent. Train your dog early as much as possible.
Pug Greyhound Mix = Grey Punghound
- The Pug Greyhound mix is recognized by designer dog registries and hybrid canine groups in the US and from other countries.
- This dog is small and has very short hair. Therefore, it requires weekly brushing. It sheds minimally as well.
- The Greyhound Pug mix is smart and will love apartment living. It would always want to be part of a family or pack.
- Never overfeed a Pug Greyhound mix because it is prone to obesity and being overweight. As much as possible, give treats minimally and adhere to a strict diet.
Cocker Spaniel Greyhound Mix = Cocker Greyhound
- There is very little information about the Cocker Spaniel Greyhound mix breed. This is not a purebred, and the only evidence that it exists are photos posted by owners on social media sites and ads sites.
- According to these sites, most Greyhound Cocker Spaniel mixes are short legged and have short ears. Some may have longer ears taking from its dominant Cocker Spaniel parent.
- Cocker Spaniel Greyhound mix dog may inherit the behavior of either parent. Therefore it can be dignified like the Greyhound or cautious and barkers like the Cocker Spaniel.
- Usually, people looking for this mixed breed rely on breeders. Be sure to work with a reputable Cocker Spaniel Greyhound breeder to ensure that your puppies are healthy.
American Bulldog Greyhound Mix = American Greyhound
- The Greyhound mixed with an American Bulldog can have medical conditions like eye problems, reverse sneezing and joint dysplasia to name a few.
- The American Bulldog Greyhound mix is a moderate shedder. You need to groom this routinely and give it regular baths.
- The Greyhound American Bulldog mixed breed may have moderate energy levels considering the characteristics of both parents. But if the Greyhound trait is more evident, then expect a very energetic and fun-loving dog.
- Train your American Bulldog Greyhound mix puppy early to prevent antisocial behavior and to get used to living with other animals and pets in your home.
Blue Heeler Greyhound Mix = Blue Greyhound
- The Blue Heeler Greyhound Mix is a mixed breed that needs regular grooming. The Blue Heeler sheds a lot compared to the Greyhound so brushing several times a week is necessary.
- The Greyhound Blue Heeler mix is brilliant and thus a challenge to train. You may run out of tricks to teach this dog, but it won’t run out of energy to follow you.
- This mixed breed’s diet depends on the diet that its parent breeds may have had. But no matter what you feed your dog, make sure to feed this moderately and to avoid treats to prevent obesity and other weight-related illnesses.
- The Greyhound Blue Heeler mix is prone to elbow dysplasia so include fish oil and glucosamine supplements in his daily nutritional intake.
Dalmatian Greyhound Mix = Grey Houndmatian
- The Dalmatian Greyhound mix breed dog is a very rare one, and there is very little information online about it. But to understand this dog’s characteristics and behavior, studying its parent breeds are essential.
- Both the Dalmatian and the Greyhound are active dogs, and thus this dog breed needs daily exercise with a lot of play and training.
- You must brush the coat of your Greyhound Dalmatian mix breed dog at least twice a week. This will keep your dog’s coat shiny and healthy.
- The Dalmatian Greyhound pup may inherit any illnesses of its parent breeds. But to make sure that you are getting a healthy pup, take it to the vet early. If this is from a breeder, get a dog only from a reputable breeder.
Golden Retriever Greyhound Mix = Golden Greyhound
- Having a Greyhound Golden Retriever mix dog is like having a loyal, intelligent and very energetic companion. It is friendly with kids and other pets around the house.
- If you want to lie down around the house and watch TV, then the Golden Retriever Greyhound mix is not the dog for you
- This dog has a higher than average shedding because Goldens shed a lot. Expect to vacuum a lot and to clean up after this dog several times a day.
- Feeding your Golden Retriever Greyhound mix is a per dog basis so consult a vet to get the ideal nutritional plan according to your dog’s health.
Rhodesian Ridgeback Greyhound Mix = Rhodesian Greyhound
- A Rhodesian Ridgeback Greyhound mix is prone to conditions that affect its parent breeds. This can be affected by heart problems, hypoglycemia, patellar luxation, and hip dysplasia.
- This dog needs moderate grooming by just brushing a few times a week and bathing only when it is dirty. Use a stiff brush to remove knots on its fur.
- A Greyhound Rhodesian Ridgeback mix breed is very active and needs regular exercise and long walks to stay calm and avoid behavioral issues.
- Checking a pound, shelter or dog center is the best way to go to find a Rhodesian Ridgeback Greyhound in case some people don’t want this mixed breed dog. But make sure to take your newly adopted pet to the vet first immediately.
Pitbull Greyhound Mix = Grey Pithound
- The Pitbull Greyhound Mix is a mixed designer breed that has many names. It has a well-built body and can be a medium-sized to a large dog.
- This is a great family dog because the Greyhound Pitbull mix loves kids and loves other pets around the house.
- The Greyhound Pitbull mix requires exercise at least half an hour to an hour of strenuous physical activity. If this is not met, this dog could develop behavioral problems and social issues.
- This mixed breed may inherit health conditions from its Greyhound parent and Pitbull parent as well. Both races have sensitive skin and combining these two breeds creates a dog that is prone to allergies and may have very sensitive skin.
Catahoula Greyhound Mix = Greyhoula
- The Catahoula Greyhound mix dog is an exceptional mixed breed, and there is very little information about this dog which can be found online or offline. Therefore the only way to find out about this breed is to study the characteristics of its parent breeds closely.
- The Greyhound Catahoula Mix is a lovely breed that may have inherited its multi-colored coat from its dominant Catahoula parent. But if the dog is short-haired, expect a short haired dog that requires minimal grooming.
- This dog is very active and requires regular exercise and play. You must train your Catahoula Greyhound mix dog early to avoid behavioral problems. Catahoulas are known to be aggressive to other dogs especially if both are male dogs so watch out for this trait.
- When it comes to health issues, a pup may inherit medical conditions from its parent breeds. Most dogs are prone to obesity as a result of overfeeding and lack of exercise. Prevent this with a good diet and avoiding treats.
Doberman Greyhound Mix = Grey Doberhound
- The Doberman Greyhound Mix is a friendly, gentle and athletic dog. It needs regular exercise and a lot of room to run around and play.
- These are gentle dogs and will tolerate children and smaller pets and animals in your home. It should be socialized early to avoid developing any behavioral problems in the future.
- The Greyhound Doberman mix breed is a large dog because both its parents are large dogs as well. These have robust, agile and aerodynamic bodies capable of bursting full speeds.
- The Doberman Greyhound mix breed is easy to maintain because it only needs brushing twice a week. These don’t have dense and heavy coats, therefore, may need to be protected from severe heat and cold.
- Heilmann, R.m., et al. “Hyperhomocysteinemia in Greyhounds and Its Association with Hypofolatemia and Other Clinicopathologic Variables.” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 31, no. 1, 19 Nov. 2016, pp. 109–116., doi:10.1111/jvim.14597.
- Livingood, Lee. Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2002.