I’ve encountered all types of dogs in my many years of being a veterinarian assistant, including purebred or mix dogs. I’ve gotten to know various personalities of dogs, and I’ve learned how to address their concerns specifically. A lot of dog owners have been very enthusiastic with how I deal with their pets, and this is all thanks to my dedicated colleagues. I share the same passion for animals. Our many years of being veterinarians helped us in treating all types of dogs and get to know more about new breeds and how to interact with them.
Doberman Husky Mix
The Doberman Husky Mix is a result of breeding a Doberman Pinscher and Siberian Husky. Both breeds are common, which is why the Husky Doberman mix won’t be hard to find. However, knowing what your pup may turn out as will be hard, and it’s possible that it may possess personalities more dominating than others. One thing’s for sure though; the mix combines the excellent trait of both sides. If there’s one thing for sure, these two breeds make for a well-tempered dog.
While there are some differences in the Husk Doberman’s personality, correcting its behavior at a young age can give you a happy and energetic forever dog. By themselves, both dog’s activity requirement is very high, and they are an energy bundle. Their activity requirements mean you need to be able to provide them with all the exercise and resources to exhaust their energy.
Knowing how to manage your pup may start as a challenge, but the Husky Doberman mix will not disappoint in showing you traits like loyalty, love, and intelligence.
3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Husky Doberman Mix
- Their personalities can be unpredictable, and this is a common problem among people who are looking for mix breed dogs. It’s always uncertain what dominating features the Doberman mixed with Husky will be like, especially since both breeds have different personality features.
- Husky’s don’t make a good guard dog, while the Doberman is good at it. If you’re looking for a dog which possesses this trait, then choosing the Husky mixed with Doberman isn’t a good choice, and it’ll be a big gamble for you to wait and realize what dominating trait your mix breed will have. With this being said, training your pups at a young age to be good guard dogs is ideal.
- Doberman’s need to get as much socialization as possible, unlike Husky’s which naturally get along with everyone. If you’re a family and want your dog to be exposed to other animals and people, it’s always a good idea to start them young. If your pup’s dominating trait is that of Doberman’s, then early socialization and interaction are necessary to condition themselves and prevent any hostile behavior.
Both Husky and Doberman’s are very active breeds which is why this is not ideal for people who live a sedentary lifestyle. Husky and Doberman mix means that there will be a lot of walks, runs, and hikes involved, and this is not the best type of dog for people who don’t have active lifestyles. Make sure they get enough exercise and exhaust their energy if you don’t want any furniture’s ruined. Dogs which have an active lifestyle need to release their energy, and depriving them of that may develop their habit of biting and chewing on furniture to release their pent up energy.
3 Reasons Why You Should Get a Doberman Husky
- The Doberman and Husky Mix are great family dogs. Both dogs have the same personality type of being loyal, alert, independent, intelligent, brave and social. The breed is a good forever companion. Huskies are known for being tolerant around people besides their family members, and Doberman’s are known for being great protectors.
- With the right training, they are highly social and can play well with other people and animals. If you live an active lifestyle, the Doberman Husky mix is a good companion for you. Doberman’s ad Husky love a good run, hike, and walk and they can keep up with your active needs. They are a perfect companion for your long hikes.
- The Doberman Husky breed makes a loyal companion, and your family is assured of that. This breed will always be by your side and make sure to show your love and appreciation towards them by returning the favor of giving the right amount of affection and kindness. The breed is perfect for families with children, and parents can be assured that their forever dog companions have their backs to protect them.
Appearance, Personality, and Traits of a Husky Doberman
|Height||20 to 27 inches|
|Ear Type||Folded (Doberman feature) or Erect (Husky feature)|
|Size||Medium to Large|
|Coat Type||Short, manageable coat (taking on the side of Doberman’s), or dense coats (taking the side of Huskies)|
|Coat Color||Dark Golden Hue, Black (if the dominant gene comes from the Doberman); Broad range of colors such as brown, white, and black (if the dominant gene comes from the Husky)|
|Amount of Shedding||Minimal to |
Extreme shedding for longer shaggy coats
|Eyes||Blue (taking on the Husky side), or gray or amber (taking the Doberman side)|
|Life Expectancy||13-14 years|
|Temperament||Friendly, Social, Loyal to the family, and loves attention|
Siberian Huskies and Dobermans are medium sized dog breeds. Husky’s were originally bred to pull sleds over long distances, and have been known to dig themselves out of the strongest fence. Because of its size and strength, you can imagine the kind of power and energy Huskies have. Doberman Pinchers are also strong dogs, and it was developed and bred for protecting its owners.
Doberman’s and Huskies have an apparent difference on their coat. While Doberman’s usually have a shorter coat type, Husky’s on the hand have Denser coats which require constant brushing and grooming. In addition to their dense coats, Huskies have undercoats which also needs to be brushed to remove dead fur and regulate their body temperature.
Doberman’s have a short coat, and they don’t shed that much, unlike Huskies. Husky’s shed a ton because of their long coat, and its most likely that the Doberman Husky mix will have a coat somewhere in between short and long. Be ready to have all your grooming and brushing supplies, especially if you want to maintain the beautiful coat of your dog.
Dobermans by themselves aren’t precisely purebred dogs, and a quick search about their history shows that Doberman’s are a combination of several breeds like the Beauceron, German Pinscher, Rottweiler, and Weimaraner. The Doberman is a perfect combination in having the following qualities:
- Fast and Agile;
- Intelligent; and Ferocious.
The Siberian is usually very friendly, and its piercing blue eyes and fluffy coat makes for a perfect cute companion. They are also non-aggressive, unlike the Doberman which has the notion of being bloodhound dogs and aggressive.
Doberman mixed with Husky Puppies for Sale
If you’re about to buy your new puppies, there are many precautions you need to be mindful off, and here’s what you need to look out for:
- Buy from a reliable breeder who has a happy and healthy Doberman and Husky Mix. Breeding can lead to many complications, and buying from a reputable breeder guarantees you that the puppies are healthy. If they can’t ensure you their health, then don’t even consider buying from them at all. Do some research to avoid complications.
- Always encourage the breeders to be transparent about any existing health problems. A good breeder is just as concerned as you when it comes to the puppies. This being the case, they should also have the necessary health records. Most importantly, they are willing to disclose to you any pre-existing health condition your pup may have so that you can help them with their treatment.
- Ask for the complete documents to know the fitness of your puppies. Don’t purchase your puppy from someone who can’t attest to the fact that the pup’s parents were healthy. An excellent and responsible breeder always makes sure and cares about the breed, and screens the breeding dog for genetic diseases. They ensure that the pups parents are healthy.
Grooming Your Husky mixed with Doberman
A healthy Doberman Husky mix requires good grooming. Doberman’s don’t usually need a lot of baths because of their short coats if at all giving them baths is rare. On the other hand, Husky’s need regular bathing because of its long and thick fur, and bathing may be a bit hard to manage. If your pup takes on the Husky side, then you need to go to the groomers to help you maintain their coat.
Groom your Doberman Husky mix by giving them regular baths, but not too much that it’d dry out their skin. If your puppy takes after Doberman’s, which is short and manageable, doing your job is easy. Here’s what you can do for your short-haired Doberman Husky:
- Regular baths, but make sure not to dry their skin. Bathing avoids ticks and fleas from seeking home under their coat.
- Trim their nails, so you don’t risk being scratched, especially your kids.
- Brush them regularly to eliminate loose furs.
If your dog takes on the coat Husky’s, longer shaggy goats, then you need to give their grooming more attention. Here’s what you can do for their grooming:
- Regular brushing to avoid their fur from being dangled. This also encourages the production of natural oils to keep their coat shiny and beautiful.
- Huskies are known to have thick undercoats, so make sure to brush their coats thoroughly especially during the hot season.
- Give them baths to prevent fleas and ticks from burrowing on their fur, especially since their coats are thick and getting these creatures out would be hard to manage. Don’t over bath them because it may unnecessarily dry out your dog’s skin.
There are many benefits to grooming your dogs such as:
- Grooming contributes to your dog’s health. Brushing your dog’s fur helps remove dead hair, and shows your dog’s beautiful fur. Brushing their coat also promote maintenance of their natural oils in keeping its shine.
- Your dog looks beautiful at all times. If your mix takes on the Siberian Husky’s coat, then it’s crucial that you don’t forget to brush their fur regularly to prevent tangling.
Doberman Husky Mix Health Problems
In general, Doberman’s and Huskies are not prone to obesity and don’t require too many veterinarian visits. That being said, managing their health can be easy, but this doesn’t, however, mean that you should neglect them. Like most dogs, the Doberman Husky mix is susceptible to developing genetic health problems. If you get your dogs at a young age, then you can find ways how to improve your dog’s health and help them avoid developing health complications. The Doberman Husky mix is likely to create the following health problems: hip and elbow dysplasia, parvovirus, osteochondritis dissecans (OCD).
Most medium to large size dogs suffer from Hip and Elbow Dysplasia, and it can drastically change your dog’s life. Hip dysplasia is preventable, and precautionary measure isn’t that hard, You can help your dog avoid this condition by giving them a special diet which promotes bone development, and incorporate exercise routines.
OCD is almost similar to dysplasia; it is an inflammatory condition which occurs when cartilage separates from the underlying bone. It affects the shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee joints. Medium to large size dogs is more likely to be affected by this condition, especially in male dogs. OCD can be avoided by limiting dietary intake of foods rich in energy and calcium.
Identifying whether your dog has OCD is quite simple, and it can be remedied by undergoing a simple surgery to remove the diseased cartilage. Doing this relieves the inflammation and the pain, minimizing the development of degenerative joint disease. OCD may include the following symptoms:
- Limping on the affected leg caused by an inflammation of the joints.
- Swollen looking joints.
- Avoidance of using a leg because of pain
Parvovirus is a fatal infection which can be prevented by vaccination. Puppies under 16 weeks are more likely to be infected, especially if they are exposed to crowded and unsanitary conditions. Parvovirus causes severe diarrhea and dehydration, and severe dehydration can affect your dog’s blood circulation. Parvovirus isn’t genetic, and it is a developed infection which means it can be avoided. However, Doberman’s are more susceptible to acquiring parvovirus than most dogs which is why you need to be more careful.
Here are some symptoms of parvo in dogs:
- Fever and Vomiting;
- Weight loss;
- Sever bloody diarrhea
Husky Doberman Mix Food Requirements
Feeding your dog right creates a significant impact on their life, and you want to make sure you provide them with only the best and healthiest options for them. Getting the right food for your Husky and Doberman mix can be quite expensive, which is why you need to know the full-proof plan for feeding your pups.
Overfeeding them is never the solution, and you have to be mindful that their food intake depends on their breed and size. Since the Doberman and Husky mix is susceptible to developing dysplasia and OCD, you have to be mindful with what foods they should consume less, such as foods rich in energy and calcium.
Overfeeding your dog leads to many health problems, and you need to regulate their diet. If you’re unsure with how to start feeding your pups, here are some preliminary tips:
- Fruits and vegetables are a good source of vitamins, rich in fiber and nutrients.
- Ingredients rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties helps fight your dog’s premature aging,
- Raw food diet is better than cooked meals
- Do not overfeed and limit treats. We all love our dogs, and sometimes the way express it is by giving them too many treats or food. The overall effect of this is an obese, unhealthy dog.
- Keep them hydrated because water is the most important aspect of anyone’s diet, and it’s often the most overlooked.
The market is filled with high-quality dog food, and here are some suggestions for you to choose from:
- Merrick Grain-Free: It guarantees you that its ingredients are free from anything which could cause potential allergic reactions. It is a good source for protein, nutrients, and a healthy dose of omega fatty acids to support your dog’s joints.
- Taste of the Wild High Protein: This imitates the natural diet which your dogs would have in the wild. It is a rich source of protein, mostly from salmon. It also has the right combination of plant-based ingredients like tomatoes and sweet potatoes, rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- Wellness Complete Health: Perfect for large breeds, and provides a complete balanced diet. It’s making protein sources are chicken and salmon, and not just animal by-products or artificial preservatives.
- CANIDAE All Life Stages: The perfect diet to help support your pup’s health, and is suitable for puppies and senior dogs. This diet helps your pup get the muscle support it needs, with protein sources like chicken, lamb, and turkey. It also has probiotics to promote your pup’s digestive health.
- AvoDerm Natural Chicken: No harmful fillers, preservatives, colors, and flavors. This contains only the essential beneficial ingredients for a balanced diet and promotes your dog’s immune system and a healthy coat.
Doberman Husky Exercise Requirements
The Doberman and Husky mix make a highly energetic dog, and they need a lot of exercises and to be with a playmate. Doberman’s and Husky’s require Heavy activity, and Doberman’s require you to take special attention to giving them a firm training. If there’s one thing for sure though, it’s that you’ll get a pup which requires a lot of exercise requirement.
Managing your pup’s energy level is simple, and long walks and hikes help them, and keeping them tired would be beneficial for you in the long run. A dog such as the Doberman Husky mix is excellent for people with active lifestyles. Exhaust their energy, so they don’t develop destructive behaviors. Not getting enough energy or channel to vent their energy increases their chances of becoming destructive.
Husky Doberman Mix Training
The Husky and Doberman breed requires a lot of channels to release their energy, and they are also highly intelligent dogs to assist you. The mix is highly trainable and is very obedient, and Doberman’s can even be trained to be a guide dog. Training them won’t be difficult, especially if you show a firm handle over them. To teach them properly, here’s what you can do:
- Assert your dominance and show them you are in control. Make sure they respect your authority and doing so makes training time easier
- Keep your training sessions short because you might lose their attention.
- Reward your dog on every great action they performed — Reinforce their good behavior.
If you’re unsure with what to do, enlist the help of a professional dog trainer. Doing this helps correct behaviors which your pups may have or acquired.
Doberman mixed with Husky and Families
Falling in love with the Husky and Doberman mix is simple, and they are a perfect breed for families. If you’re lucky, you can have yourself an ideal guide dog if your pup takes on the Doberman side. In general, the Doberman with Husky mix produces friendly puppies but it’s undeniable that taking on the Husky side produces a more affectionate dog.
The Doberman Husky mix is perfect for families who want an energy bundle. Not only that, but the combination shows a high propensity to be very affectionate, and has a good temperament with children. Introducing your pup with existing dogs won’t be hard, as the breed is highly social.
The breed shows traits of loyalty and a good sense of protection, and they are ideal for families looking for a loyal companion. If you’re considering the Doberman Husky mix, be prepared to have a happy, exciting addition to your family.
- Zhao, X., et al. “A Genome-Wide Association Study for Canine Cryptorchidism in Siberian Huskies.” Journal of Animal Breeding and Genetics, vol. 131, no. 3, 25 Nov. 2013, pp. 202–209., doi:10.1111/jbg.12064.
- Dyggve, H., et al. “Antihistone Autoantibodies in Dobermans With Hepatitis.” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 31, no. 6, 30 Sept. 2017, pp. 1717–1723., doi:10.1111/jvim.14838.
- Pets, About. Doberman. Simon & Schuster, 2005.
- Morgan, Diane. Siberian Huskies for Dummies. Wiley Publishing, 2001.