Chihuahua Husky Mix
The Chihuahua Husky mix is one shocking and unusual breed. The size difference between the two parental breeds makes this combination seem impossible. As it is, this mixed breed doesn’t happen naturally. But science, or specifically IVF, can make the improbable happen.
It’s already challenging to tell what a mixed breed dog will look like or what temperament it will have. It becomes even more difficult with a Chihuahua Husky mix, a hybrid that is also unofficially called the Huskyhuahua or the Husky-Chi.
Learning about the parent breeds can shed light on what prospective owners might encounter with the Chihuahua Husky. After all, no two breeds are as polar opposites as the Chihuahua and Siberian Husky.
The Chihuahua has been around for centuries. The national dog of Mexico, it was reportedly bred to be a tiny companion dog. Despite its minuscule size, the Chihuahua is full of life and vigor. It’s an adorable dog with a bossy streak.
Meanwhile, the Siberian Husky is a working dog that was bred to work in the cold vastness of Siberia. It’s known for playing an important role in the survival of the Chukchi tribe. This dog is known for its majestic looks and amazing blue eyes. It is also very resilient and has lots of energy and love to spare.
It would be interesting to see what personality traits Husky Chihuahua mix puppies will have. You might end up with a medium sized, bossy dog or a small dog that’s as talkative as the Husky.
3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Chihuahua Husky
- Can develop a tendency to be aggressive. Studies have shown that the Chihuahua has a tendency to become aggressive and will snap or bite if not socialized or trained properly. Your mixed breed pet could also develop the same habit.
- Might not react well to small children. Despite the two parent breeds getting along well with children and other pets, the Chihuahua doesn’t play well with very young kids. It doesn’t have the patience to handle their exuberance.
- Unknown health issues. Since it’s a rare hybrid, no one really knows what genetic problems it might have inherited, especially as the parent breeds are susceptible to several diseases.
Other Husky Mixes
Love huskies but not sure this particular pup is for you? Check out America’s most popular Husky mix breed dogs.
- Doberman Husky Mix
- Great Pyrenees Husky Mix
- Great Dane Husky Mix
- Rottweiler Husky Mix
- Akita Husky Mix
- Boxer Husky Mix
- Malamute Husky Mix
- Chow Chow Husky Mix
- Pitbull Husky Mix
- Pug Husky Mix
- Pomeranian Husky Mix
- Labrador Husky Mix
- Australian Shepherd Husky Mix
- Golden Retriever Husky Mix
- Bernese Mountain Dog Husky Mix
- Beagle Husky Mix
- Poodle Husky Mix
3 Reasons Why You Should Get a Husky Chihuahua
- Rare mix with a unique look. This crossbreed is an unexpected combination and extremely rare. Its looks easily set it apart from other pets.
- Intelligent and sassy. The Husky Chihuahua has the best traits of two popular dog breeds. Its intelligence means training will be a breeze. It also has a fun, quirky, and lovable personality. You will never get bored with this dog.
- Longer life expectancy. This mixed breed can live for more than a decade, especially if its well-cared for. So owners will be able to enjoy this unique and affectionate pet for years.
Appearance, Personality, and Traits of a Chihuahua Husky Mix
|Weight||Depends on what parent breed dominates; average of 7 to 15 lbs|
|Height||Depends on the dominant gene; can be anywhere from 6 to 15 inches tall|
|Size||Small to medium|
|Coat Type||Short to medium length|
|Coat Color||White, black, tan, grey or a combination of the colors|
|Amount of Shedding||Low to medium depending on dominant trait|
|Eyes||Blue, brown or multicolored|
|Temperament||Active, friendly, outgoing, affectionate, intelligent, stubborn and bossy. Might be prone to aggressive behavior|
|Life Expectancy||Approximately 12 to 16 years|
|Kid Friendly||No to very young children|
|New Owner Friendly||No|
It’s hard to predict the appearance and personality of a rare mixed breed like the Chihuahua Husky. Like other hybrids, this dog can either be a perfect combination of both parents or will manifest traits of a specific breed.
Since there’s a big size difference between the two original dogs, owners can expect their hybrid pet to be small or medium-sized at most. It will likely be taller than 5 inches but will not hit 20 inches. Huskies are known for having thick, double-layered coats. Meanwhile, most Chihuahuas have smooth coats that lay flat but some types have longer coats. Your mixed dog will likely have a smooth coat that’s short to medium length.
Personality wise, this dog can inherit various traits from its parents. Bear in mind though that despite its size, the Husky is an outgoing, friendly, and energetic dog. The Chihuahua’s small size does not deter it from having a huge personality either. This diminutive dog can be bossy and needs to be trained and taught acceptable behavior. Therefore, there’s a good chance a Husky mixed with a Crossbreed will also be friendly and outgoing.
The Husky is notorious for being a determined escape artist. Its big frame and powerful legs make leaving the yard easy. While its hybrid offspring might not be as powerful, you should still take steps to ensure your Husky Chihuahua won’t be able to leave the safety of your home.
Husky Chihuahua Mix Puppies for Sale
Your search for a Husky Chihuahua mix puppy should ideally start with a shelter or an animal rescue organization. There are thousands of dogs that need forever homes and you might find the best companion for you there.
It’s understandable though if you prefer to go with a breeder. While it is the fastest option, you should take steps to ensure that the company is legitimate and trustworthy. Licensed breeders understand the importance of having healthy and happy dogs. They can also provide you with proof of the dog’s lineage and health status. What’s more, breeders can also answer all your questions about the dog.
Avoid getting your canine companion from a pet store or from someone you found online. The odds are high that they got their animals from a puppy mill. Not only are puppy mills illegal, but their main concern are also profits. There’s no consideration about the mother’s health or that of her puppies. So if you want a healthy and high-quality dog, you should go for licensed breeders like Greenfield Puppies or Lancaster Puppies.
You should also consider adopting or rescuing a Husky Chihuahua mix. It’s a good idea to start looking in your local shelter or check out sites like –
Grooming Your Chihuahua Mixed With Husky
The grooming needs of a Chihuahua mixed with Husky will depend on the type of coat they have. Based on the experiences owners of this mixed breed had, this dog will likely have mid-length hair. Some shedding will occur but it won’t be as copious as that of a Siberian Husky. However, you should still invest in a high-quality vacuum to keep your home clean.
Regardless of what type of coat your Husky Chihuahua cross has, make sure you groom it two to three times a week. This will help minimize hair fall and keeps the coat and skin shiny and healthy.
Give your Husky Chihuahua mix a bath only when needed. Frequent baths will dry out its skin and cause its hair to lose much needed natural oils.
Check your dog’s ears regularly to ensure they’re clean. Dry them thoroughly to prevent infection. Nails should also be trimmed consistently to avoid splitting or breakage. A broken nail can be painful.
Husky Mixed With Chihuahua Health Problems
Every breed is known for being susceptible to particular problems due to their genes. But with proper care, the right diet, and regular visits to the veterinarian, you can keep your pet healthy.
Health issues is also a reason why you should be very selective when choosing a breeder. A good breeder will be able to provide guarantees regarding the puppy’s health. They can even provide you with the medical history and health clearances of both parent breeds. Do not consider any breeder who cannot do so.
Crossbreeds like the Chihuahua Husky are said to be healthier than the original dogs. Crossbreeding does introduce new material to the gene pool and this could lower the odds of genetic problems being passed down to the offspring.
However, a Husky mixed with Chihuahua can be susceptible to –
- Collapsing trachea
- Dental problems
- Heart disease
- Hip dysplasia
- Liver shunt
- Luxating patella
- Progressive retinal atrophy
Chihuahua Crossed With Husky Food Requirements
Every dog has different dietary needs based on their size and health status. As a responsible dog owner, you should take the time to find the right dog food and supplements for your canine companion.
A Chihuahua crossed with Husky might require a more customized diet that one can only determine through trial and error and some mixing and matching. Make sure to provide your dog with high-quality dry dog food. It’s best to look for a brand that uses real meat in its ingredients and has minimal grains or additives.
Regardless of the size of your pet, you have to be careful of its weight. Obesity is a big problem among dogs today and any additional weight could leave your furry friend susceptible to elbow and hip dysplasia, something that Huskies are prone to. Fish oil and chondroitin and glucosamine supplements can help keep this problem at bay.
Finding the proper dog food for your Husky Chihuahua cross isn’t difficult either. There are so many great brands to choose from. Here are some of them:
- Hill’s Science Adult 7+ Active Longevity Chicken Mean, Rice & Barley Dry Dog Food
This brand’s meal is a perfect combination of premium protein provided by chicken and wholesome whole grains. The formula is full of antioxidants to boost the immune system and amino acids to build the body. Its well-balanced combination of nutrients makes this a good option for senior dogs. The company also prides itself for not using any artificial ingredients.
- IAMS Proactive Health Adult Minichunks Dry Dog Food
This specially formulated dog food uses farm-raised chickens, beet pulp, fruits, and vegetables. It is also enriched with L-carnitine to help balance your pet’s metabolism, which is essential to maintaining a healthy weight. The nutrients in this dry meal will keep your Husky Chihuahua’s coat and skin healthy while assisting with keeping the immune system, neuromuscular, and cardiovascular systems functioning smoothly.
- Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food
This brand utilizes the freeze-dried method to preserve all the nutrients and minerals found in each ingredient. This mix is comprised of 34% protein that comes from chicken meal, fish meal, and salmon meal. It also has natural fruits and vegetables like apples, pumpkin seeds, peas, and carrots. The recipe is grain-free but fortified with probiotics and omega fatty acids.
- Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
Owners should look for kibbles that are designed specifically for small breeds. Wellness Core’s dry dog food is free of corn, grains, soy, and other unhealthy byproducts. Instead, the company uses 36% protein sourced from chicken meal, turkey meal, and deboned turkey. This dog food also contains complex carbs from peas and potatoes. It also has flaxseed oil to keep your dog’s skin glowing with health.
- Weruva Caloric Melody Natural
This kibble is grain and potato free, making it easy to digest food for dogs that need to count their calories. It’s suitable for every stage of a dog’s life, from puppydom to adulthood and straight on to the senior years. The ingredients used are GMO-free and incorporates seaweed and pumpkin to help with digestion. This dog food is also made according to strict quality control and food safety standards.
Husky Crossed With Chihuahua Exercise Requirements
Like all breeds, a Husky crossed with a Chihuahua needs regular exercise. Owners would do well to integrate its training with its exercise requirements.
Regular walks or an hour of exercise daily is sufficient for this dog, as it doesn’t have the frame or power of the formidable Siberian Husky. It will also benefit from an enclosed area or a fenced-in backyard where it can freely gambol and run around.
Take care not to force your Husky-Chi to overexert itself, particularly if it’s part Apple Head Chihuahua. This type is prone to Brachycephaly, a disability is caused by the dog’s skull shape and short muzzle. It can cause breathing difficulties, snoring, pain, and other respiratory diseases.
This crossbreed might also be sensitive to heat. So even though most Husky crossbreeds do well in warm weather, it’s still not a good idea to let them walk or run on hot days.
The right toy can keep your dog physically and mentally engaged. Not only will this keep your dog happy, it will also prevent destructive tendencies from appearing. Here are some of the best toys to keep your dog pleasantly occupied:
- KONG Rubber Dog Chew Toy: There’s a reason why KONG’s chew toy has been a consistent best seller since it was introduced. This toy soothes chewers and keeps them busy for hours. It is also great for fetching games. You can even fill it with treats and let your dog think about how to get them out.
- Mammoth Floss Chews Cottonbelnd 3-Knot Rope Tug: This is another classic dog toy. It’s a fun, multipurpose toy. It can be used in a tug-of-war game with your Husky Chihuahua mix or as a prize to be fetched. Your dog can also spend hours chewing on it. More importantly, the fibers in the toy help floss your pet’s teeth.
- Outward Hound Hide-A-Squirrel Dog Toy: Many dog owners consider this the perfect toy. It has three squirrels hiding in a plush tree trunk. The squeaking squirrels will quickly catch the attention of dogs that love auditory stimulation. This toy is affordable and comes in a variety of sizes.
Chihuahua Husky Mix Training
It’s vital that the Chihuahua Husky mix undergoes socialization and obedience training. Both parent breeds are known for their intelligence so learning will be easy for this crossbreed. However, the Husky and Chihuahua were bred for different purposes and this is can manifest in their behaviors.
As mentioned previously, the Husky has been bred primarily to pull sleds and other strenuous work while the Chihuahua is a companion dog. This has made the smaller dog more independent and loving. But it’s also bossy and demands attention. Meanwhile, the Husky is known for its eagerness to please its owner.
Early socialization and obedience training will ensure that your Husky Chihuahua mix will grow up to be a well-adjusted and happy dog.
Here are some tips to help train a Husky mixed with a Chihuahua:
- Go with positive reinforcement. Dog experts encourage this type of training strategy when dealing with this mixed breed. Treats, praises, and belly rubs will work far better than scolding and harsh punishments.
- Get rid of distractions. You have to control the environment during your pet’s training sessions. Pick an area that’s free from distractions, like the kitchen. Put away toys or other things that your dog would want to play with or chew. Keep your dog safe by putting it on a leash if your training ground is outside. Even trained canines can get startled or be tempted by a cat or another dog.
- Establish a daily routine. This will make it easier for your dog to learn. For instance, you can always start your day by leading your dog to an assigned potty area. Schedule a little play time before breakfast then another potty break while you get ready.
- Be consistent. Everyone in the family should be on the same page when it comes to training and rewarding your dog’s behavior. Having different commands or reactions will just confuse your dog.
- Introduce your Chihuahua Husky mix to different situations, dogs, and people. Socialization means exposure. But make things easier for your pet by giving instructions to the people it’s meeting to be gentle with it. Don’t let very young children hold your pet as they might grab your dog tightly and end up scaring it.
Husky Chihuahua Mix and Families
The Husky Chihuahua mix can make a good family dog. However, it’s better suited to someone who has experience in handling stubborn and aggressive dogs. Families with older children are also a better fit since they are better able to understand how to handle this dog. This mixed breed is not very patient with very young children. Their playfulness and exuberance can prove to be annoying to a Chihuahua Husky and could cause them to snap and bite.
While this dog requires daily exercise, it doesn’t have the high energy levels often associated with Huskies and other working dogs. Walking around for 30 minutes to an hour will suit this dog, so if you’re someone who’s moderately active, this can be a good companion.
This dog can survive living in a small apartment, but it will thrive if it has enough space to run around. You should ideally have a yard, even a small one, that allows this breed to play and run around.
The right dog will bring you joy and companionship. If you want a loving, intelligent dog then a Chihuahua Husky mix might be the pet for you. Just remember that it will need regular exercise, healthy food, and regular visits to the vet. You should also be prepared to socialize and train while it’s still a puppy. This training and socialization will continue all throughout its life.
- Zhao, X., et al. “A Genome-Wide Association Study for Canine Cryptorchidism in Siberian Huskies.” Journal of Animal Breeding and Genetics, vol. 131, no. 3, 25 Nov. 2013, pp. 202–209., doi:10.1111/jbg.12064.
- Kiviranta, A.-M., et al. “Syringomyelia and Craniocervical Junction Abnormalities in Chihuahuas.” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 31, no. 6, 11 Sept. 2017, pp. 1771–1781., doi:10.1111/jvim.14826.
- Morgan, Diane. Siberian Huskies for Dummies. Wiley Publishing, 2001.
- Chihuahua. About Pets, 2009.