Beagle Chihuahua Mix
The Beagle Chihuahua mix is a combination of the Beagle breed and the Chihuahua breed. Most people commonly prefer purebred dogs, but other individuals also find mix breed dogs interesting. The Beagle Chihuahua mix is a small dog that has the adorable characteristics and unique personality of their renowned parent dogs. Let us dive into this guide and learn more about the mix breed as well as the do’s and don’ts when owning a Beagle Chihuahua mix breed.
3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Get a Beagle Chihuahua Crossbreed
- This dog cannot withstand extreme weather. This may not be the best dog for people who live in extremely cold or hot climates. The dog will need some exposure outside to exercise, but keeping it indoors works since it has a fragile body.
- It is prone to jealousy. Because of the dog’s extreme affection to a specific person, it could feel irritated when it loses the attention it demands from the owner. Without training or experience, you may find yourself a dog that keeps you on the ropes unless it is locked in caged.
- The mixed breed becomes loud and noisy when excited or agitated. The Beagle Chihuahua mix has a high-pitched howl which may disrupt the peace at home and your neighbors. The dog often barks when it needs to express itself to its owner.
3 Reasons Why You Should Get a Chihuahua Beagle Crossbreed
- This dog is loyal and devoted. This deep devotion to its owner stems from the characteristics of both the Beagle and the Chihuahua. Not only does it lend its trust to loved ones, but it makes sure that they remember and honor that bond for as long as the dog lives. There isn’t a pinch of a doubt from the dog, and it also expects the same level of trust from you.
- It is very intelligent. The Beale Chihuahua mix is interested in doing what it likes to do. It exerts effort in communicating its needs to the owner until it’s satisfied with the results. The dog can quickly learn commands and social cues and train for dog shows.
- The mixed breed is small enough to carry around. This is a little dog that weighs like a feather. Going on a road trip outside of town? You could easily bring the dog to where ever you are headed to without asking for favors from friends or bringing it to a dog hotel.
Appearance, Personality, and Traits of a Beagle Mixed with Chihuahua
|Height||5 to 15 inches tall|
|Weight||6 to 30 pounds|
|Body Type||Small to medium in size|
|Coat Type||Short or medium, straight, and silky coat with low to moderate shedding. The spots on the dog’s coat would more likely appear similar to the Beagle’s patterns|
|Coat Color||Brown, tan, white, black, cream|
|Life Expectancy||10 to 15 Years|
|Family-Oriented||This is a loving and loyal companion that prefers being alongside with its owner. Because of its love for attention and affection, the dog may be less friendly to younger children and other pets. Socialization is necessary to control this behavior|
|Indoor Pet||This is a small breed which is well-suited for apartments and indoor spaces|
|Excessive Barker||Occasional to moderate barker|
The looks of a Beagle Chihuahua mix depend on the dog parent gene that is more dominant in the dog. In general, the dog would resemble the height of its Chihuahua parent dog. The coat of the dog is short or medium in length, but some Beagle Chihuahua offspring inherit the long coat of long-haired Chihuahuas. The dog is more likely to have the muzzle and ear length of its Beagle dog parent and the eyes of the Chihuahua as well as a long tail.
The Beagle Chihuahua is a very friendly and family-oriented companion. This is a gentle dog with a somewhat bold personality. The dog enjoys the company of its owner but is equally capable of being independent or left alone for a while. It can tolerate young children to a certain degree, so socialization as a puppy is recommended. Because Beagle Chihuahuas have a personal inclination to a specific member of the family, it is prone to jealousy which could escalate to destructive behaviors if untrained.
This dog is an active crossbreed that speaks, or instead barks its mind out when it gets boring or is looking for attention. As long as the dog doesn’t feel threatened, it is well-mannered and outgoing to strangers and other pets. Despite being friendly, the Beagle Chihuahua mix always remains vigilant and attacks someone who smells suspicion. In any case, the dog’s protectiveness stems from its affection and loyalty towards its owners. Destroying its trust wit you may be heart wrecking to the dog.
A healthy Beagle Chihuahua mix will generally live for about 15 years. You maintain a healthy track record and prolong the dog’s lifespan by occasionally taking it to the vet for vaccinations and providing it with a holistic diet of nutritious dog food and whole foods.
Chihuahua Mixed with Beagle Puppies for Sale
Before purchasing a Beagle Chihuahua puppy, you must consider the budget and expenses involved after paying for its ownership. More than a thousand dollars is required for buying the dog and providing it with vaccinations, food, and medicine. The typical price of a Beagle and Chihuahua offspring range between five hundred dollars to one thousand dollars.
You should look for this puppy is by searching for dog breeders who specialize in breeding Beagle Chihuahua offspring. To ensure the quality of your dog, you should consider reputable dog breeders wherein the parent dogs are healthy and have offspring that are less likely to inherit “bad” or unhealthy genes. Besides marking out negative health issues from parent dogs, your other concern when looking for quality breeders is the selling price of the puppy.
An easier and mostly cash-free method of acquiring this dog is by checking at adoption centers or Beagle Chihuahua mix breeders who are open for adoption. Prepare yourself for multiple background checks and interviews the staff or owner since they want to ensure their dog’s wellbeing with you once it’s released. An excellent and responsible dog breeder is someone who conducts as many background checks on the buyer as possible. Below are some websites, dog rescues, and dog breeders where to find a Beagle Chihuahua puppy:
- Greenfield Puppies
- Canine Clubs
- A Forever Home Rescue Foundation
You can always purchase the dog online, but always make sure to be responsible for double checking the background of the seller just as you would with a dog breeder. You may also contact or join dog clubs, attend professional dog shows, or talk with a veterinarian who you think might know or refer a Beagle Chihuahua mix seller to you.
Grooming Your Chihuahua Beagle Mix
A Beagle Chihuahua mix may require a moderate degree of grooming for its coat. Since both the Beagle and Chihuahua parent dogs have short coats, its offspring would most likely shed moderately. You should trim or brush the dog’s coat at least twice a week. Below is a list of dog shampoos and bath products:
- Natural Dog Hair Shampoo & Conditioner Anti-Bacterial Pet Wash for Dogs Breed. This is a dog shampoo that was manufactured at the highest quality. It is made of natural properties with a soapless formula which soothes and moisturizes the coat and skin of the dog.
- Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo Oatmeal and Aloe. This dog shampoo works well for relieving itchiness and skin irritation in dogs. It contains three percent of oatmeal and aloe vera which result in clean and healthy skin.
- Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoos For All Dogs. This is an all-around shampoo for different dog breeds. It contains Moroccan argan oil which nourishes the dog’s coat with vitamin A and helps restore hair follicles.
- Healthy Breeds Dog Deodorizing Shampoo. This is a general deodorizer for dogs. The shampoo helps bring out the soft and bright textures of the dog’s coat by promoting skin hydration.
Don’t forget to brush your dog’s teeth and trim its nails using specialized nail clippers for dogs. The occasional cleaning of the ears should be done as well.
Beagle Chihuahua Mix Health Problems
The Beagle Chihuahua mix may have a few health issues, but it is still prone to multiple illnesses that the Beagle and Chihuahua experience. Daily exercise and occasional visits to your nearest animal clinic are recommended to prevent the health problems below:
- Hip Dysplasia. Hip dysplasia is a genetic illness that is common to many dogs. Factors such as obesity and improper nutrition or diet can contribute to the development of hip dysplasia as well. It is described by the deterioration of the hip joints leading to skeletal malformation.
- Dental Disease. Oral hygiene is essential to prevent dental issues which include plaque build-up, gum infection, tooth loss, gingivitis, broken teeth, and gum inflammation. Bad breath and teeth discoloration are some of the warning signals of a dental problem.
- Hypoglycemia. This disease is characterized by low levels of sugar in the blood in the dog. Hypoglycemia may make the dog feel less energetic and absent-minded or unconscious on a more severe level. Common indicators of this disease include loss of appetite, shivering, disorientation, blurred vision, weakness, and an abnormal degree of hunger.
- Obesity. This is a nutritional disease that occurs when dogs are eating more than it can digest at a time. Since the dog is known to be active, the owner may overfeed it. As a result of feeling, the dog may be prone to exercise less.
- Thyroid Problems/ Hypothyroidism. The thyroid has several responsibilities to accomplish in the body such as proper nervous system functioning, heart rate, body temperature regulation, brain development, metabolism, and reproduction. The inflammation or damage to the thyroid gland may affect the production of thyroid hormones and become detrimental to the dog. Warning signs include difficulty in breathing, difficulty in swallowing, weight loss, thirstiness, and excessive urination.
While the Beagle Chihuahua mix doesn’t necessarily have any health issues or illnesses that were explicitly pointed out, the health complications that were mentioned above could still be passed on to the offspring through the genes of both parent dogs.
Beagle Chihuahuas Food Requirements
The Beagle Chihuahua mix requires dog food that is exclusively formulated for small breeds. The dog generally needs to eat a holistic diet of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins by about two to three cups or two meals per day. You may feed your Beagle Chihuahua mix more food depending on the exercises that it engaged in throughout the day. Below are the recommended dog foods for the Beagle Chihuahua mix:
- Orijen Puppy Grain-Free Dry Dog Food. This is one of the best dog foods to feed to your growing Beagle Chihuahua mix. It contains 38 percent of proteins, 20 percent of fats, and 520 calories. This dog food is made up of chicken meat, chicken liver, turkey meat, whole eggs, and whole herring.
- Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food for Small & Toy Breeds. This dog food was specially formulated for smaller dog breeds. It has the right balance of calcium and phosphorus for the dog’s teeth and bones.
- Wellness CORE Grain-Free Small Breed Dry Dog Food. This is a dog food that helps in the health of the dog’s coat. It is rich in protein and fatty acids, gluten-free, and made of chicken meal, turkey meal, deboned turkey, peas, and potatoes.
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Toy Breed Dog Food – Chicken and Brown Rice. This is an excellent choice for the dog since the size of the food is extra small which is suited for a small mouth. The dog food is high in proteins and fats and contains brown rice and oats for healthier digestion.
- Taste of the Wild, Appalachian Valley Small Breed Canine Formula with Venison & Garbanzo Beans. This is one of the most expensive dog foods out there. The cost of purchasing this dog food speaks for itself since it is high-quality and contains prebiotics and probiotics. Dogs that suffer from food allergies may take this dog food as an alternative food source since it was manufactured without common allergens such as chicken.
Feeding your Beagle Chihuahua mix should follow a rich diet just like any other dog. You should consult with your veterinarian about these dog foods and devise a holistic dietary plan. Too many macronutrients for the dog may result in overweight or obesity.
Chihuahua Beagle Crossbreed Exercise Requirements
The Beagle Chihuahua mix is very active dogs with more than enough energy to spare despite its size. It is an energetic dog that needs to be left lose with a family that does many activities. You should make at least 40 minutes a day of playtime and mental stimulation for the dog. Besides walking and jogging with your dog, there are other activities to consider:
- Trick training. There are various exercises that incorporate both physical and mental stimulation that is applied when teaching your dog to climb over an obstacle or jump over a fence.
- Playing fetch. This is another alternative to walking or jogging outside. It also encourages mental stimulation since it would eventually learn new commands and react to it.
- Scenting or Tracking Games. This activity helps in the dog’s mental enrichment. The Beagle dog parent side of the Beagle Chihuahua mix was tracking a dog that was bred to hunt small animals for hunters. Some nose games include hide and seek, find the toy, and find the treat.
Beagle Chihuahua Crossbreed Training
Training your Beagle Chihuahua mix is necessary, especially if you have young children or toddlers at home. Considering the bold personality of the Chihuahua, the Beagle Chihuahua mix may disregard the welfare of anything that irritates it or is perceived as a threat. The dog won’t hesitate to bite and display aggression at this point. The younger the dog receives training, the more control you could have on the dog’s instincts. Below are the training methods you should work on your dog:
- Socialization. The Beagle Chihuahua mix is a dog with a small pinch of attitude. It should be exposed to children and other animals as a puppy to control the dog’s destructive behaviors such as biting and barking. Your dog will eventually learn new social skills and make the necessary behavioral adjustments to please its owner.
- Positive Reinforcement. Positive reinforcement involves training your dog to do favorable and acceptable behaviors in exchange for treats. The dog receives a reward like a toy or an edible treat whenever is accomplishes the proper response to your commands. It does not receive a reward it fails to respond correctly.
- Puppy Training. It may take most of your time to train your puppy, but it’s an investment worth the time. Your dog should learn about the value of being with a pack and acknowledge you as its alpha. Puppy training involves being involved with it during most of the dog’s younger years and teach it the ropes and family culture.
- Obedience Training. There are many ways to train your dog, but it all boils down to giving it commands and following your orders. Any form of this training should keep the dog mentally and physically engaged and exhausted too.
Chihuahua Beagles and Families
When you consider the gentleness of a Beagle and the commitment of a Chihuahua, you end up with one of the most loyal companions in your life. The Beagle Chihuahua mix is a combination of happiness and vitality that families would love to come home to after school or work. In one way or another, the dog’s tendency to call your attention and notice it makes the dog eager to please.
The Beagle Chihuahua is a force to be reckoned with despite being small because it can cause chaos or go into a rampage out of mere excitement or agitation. While its personality could go both ways, its devotion to itself and its owners are the core driving forces of this dog. Nothing else spikes its energy than the mere presence of people belonging in its pack. The dog may do behave better around older children and adults than younger children since it can only tolerate so much before doing what it wants regardless of misbehaving.
When talking about location, the Beagle Chihuahua thrives in indoor living conditions, but a small indoor living space may not be suited for it. The dog needs more room than most other toy breeds since it’s figuratively compared to a time bomb that’s ready to explode at a moment’s notice. Playtime and daily exercises are necessary for its lifestyle, but the dog tends to play more aggressively and may accidentally cause injury to a person or another animal. When outdoors, keep the dog on a leash since it is more likely to chase small animals along the way.
Lastly, this is a pet that likes to bark and make noises whenever it wants. This may not be the right companion for people who prefer a quiet atmosphere. It may also disrupt neighbors who are sleeping at night. Regardless, the Beagle Chihuahua is a fun-loving dog that will always be on the lookout for the family.
- Patel, Shitalkumar, et al. “Identification of Appropriate QTc Formula in Beagle Dogs for Nonclinical Safety Assessment.” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 89, 25 July 2017, pp. 118–124., doi:10.1016/j.yrtph.2017.07.026.
- Kiviranta, A.-M., et al. “Syringomyelia and Craniocervical Junction Abnormalities in Chihuahuas.” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 31, no. 6, 11 Sept. 2017, pp. 1771–1781., doi:10.1111/jvim.14826.
- Beagle. Kennel Club Books, 2010.
- Chihuahua. Kennel Club Books, 2009.